Saturday, 05 April 2008

Out and About with Greyhounds.....

Most days Karma and Shani go walkies. In fact if you mention the "W" word they leap to their feet and start bouncing around. They can also spell W..A..L..K...I..E...S, so don't try fool them by spelling it, they know. Once you have said the word its on, you have to go walkies or else.



Fortunately we live in a very beautiful place so going walkies is a treat for the "peeps" as well. Some afternoons if we are feeling lazy we go up to the school field which is fully fenced and we let them run, this does not take long. They gallop circles around us for about 5 minutes and then they are exhausted and home we go.

I always thought that my two had forgotten about "chasing" stuff, but it is there in the deep recesses. Recently we had a plague of mice, they even tried to move into the laundry to eat the cat food. I kid thee not I personally saw three scuttle past. In the garage is the bird food.... mice heaven. BUT my team aka Karma , Shani, Bindii, Blue,Ty and Kitten got to work. Shani and Kitten are best friends and they worked out a mouse eradication system that was better than anything I could have come up with.

THE PLAN

Kitten runs into small spaces and flushes the mouse out, Shani is waiting and pounces on the offending mouse... and then being a gentle greyhound she gives the "ready to be eaten mouse" back to kitten to eat. For about a week it was hunting , cats catching mice, Shani helping when the cats could not run fast enough. Mouse plague is gone....



All this mouse activity has sparked a distant memory in the doggy brains..... now when we walk along the water's edge they can smell rats under the boardwalk or in the rocks and they look like this......




At night I lock my cats up in the house so that the native wildlife is safe.... one night the cats caught 2 mice whilst locked in the house..... They must be a breed of "Stupid Mice" to locate themselves in a house with 4 cats............

I can't watch, I am not into hunting, but it is swift and final, the mice don't even have time to know what hit them. It sure beats rat bait ......and a slow end!



Ciao For Now
Si



No comments: